Wednesday, February 22, 2012

PT and a magazine article (or mommy needs to vent)

Today was Isaiah's first physical therapy session with Nancy. We already know Nancy from the NICU and from the IDP and we love her! Well, Isaiah usually gives her a very serious look, just so she knows how tough he is! So it's mainly me loving her.....Anyway.

He did great. Moving his right hand way more, opening it without us having to stimulate it first. Reaching with it - not so much but hey, it was only the first session. Of course he wouldn't show her how he puts his hand in his mouth and how he reaches for the remote and my phone or laptop at home, no, that would be showing off and Isaiah is way too humble, haha. Just kidding. Truth is, when he's in a new environment or anywhere he doesn't feel comfortable, he will use the left hand. It makes him feel confident since he can control it better. He does have a great chance of using both hands equally well in the future but as always, only time will tell. Gotta love the waiting game!

On a different note, I read an article on parents.com yesterday about a mother whose child had a stroke at birth, their story was very much like ours. I think it is great that Parents Magazine is spreading awareness but reading page 3 of the article and the fact sheet was a little disturbing. It stated that "research from the University of California, San Diego that found that 60 percent of infants and children who'd had strokes showed signs in their teen years of psychiatric disorders, particularly ADHD." (Real Mom: My Baby Had a Stroke, Parents Magazine, September 2010 issue). Real Mom: My Baby Had a Stroke

 Here's why I find this very disturbing (stepping on soap box): health care providers, teachers, etc. tend to use the term ADHD VERY loosely nowadays. They are extremely quick to diagnose a child with it, often not considering that the issue for the child's behavior may actually lie somewhere else (boredom, lack of activity, changes within the family, etc.) so I cannot take this research's outcome very seriously. Considering ADHD a medical and psychiatric disorder is another story, that would suggest the issue lies within the child. Again, it doesn't take the surrounding into consideration but often children show those signs that are supposed to be sufficient for the diagnosis in one setting but not in another. So again, the actual issue may not lie within the child but in the surrounding. So then, how can it be a medical disorder? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the article. However, I missed the insight of medical experts and information for parents on where to find out more and maybe even get help. For me, as a parent of a child with Pediatric Stroke I rely on any information out there and especially on it being reliable. Alright, I'm stepping off of my soap box now. Thanks for letting me vent (well, you didn't really have any other choice but I still love you for it)!

Love,
Mimi

3 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree that ADHD is used pretty much as an excuse for children and teens behavior. The only real cases I've ever come into contact with were while I was in high school, one a little boy I babysat and a girl I was friends with. There is a huge difference between someone who is clearly not interested because of boredom and someone who cannot keep their attention in one place. My high school boyfriend used to say he had it and looking back I wish I could have told him, "No, you're just finding an excuse for being a bad driver who pays more attention to the stereo than hitting pedestrians!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol at your ex!!! My issue are not exactly the people who claim to have it and use it as an excuse although that's pretty pathetic! It is more the proffessionals that are so quick to prescribe Ritalin for a child who really just needed attention, who isn't challenged at school, doesn't get enough physical activity or may have a completely different "disorder". I witnessed it firsthand with a former student and it was so hard to watch. We as teachers weren't allowed to say anything (again, because so many teachers have used this term so loosely!) so it was up to the pediatrician.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, though I don't have personal experience with it, it does seem to be one of those go-to problems where there is the "easy" fix of medicating the poor child.
    My mom tells me stories of working with handicapped preschool that she subs for and the stories are horrible. I don't think professionals are the only ones to blame, I think parents who use their children's diagnosis as an excuse are just as much to blame!

    ReplyDelete