Monday, February 20, 2012

36 days....

36 days and finally we will be done! With the phenobarbital that is. My apologies for slacking as far as me posting is concerned. I know, you would think with me being a stay at home mom I should have time here and there but for some odd reason I don't. Two kids really do make a difference! Before I'd do whatever I needed or wanted to do while Nia was in school or napping. With her not being in school anymore and Isaiah demanding quite a bit of my attention there never seems to be time for anything. It's as if they have formed an alliance against me, they almost never nap at the same time! Anyway!

So we're weaning Isaiah off of the phenobarbital. "Pheno-what?" you might say, phenobarbital is Isaiah's seizure medicine. At his last appointment they drew blood and found that the level is below a therapeutic dose and since he doesn't show any seizure activity we can now safely wean him off by decreasing the dose over the next couple of weeks. God, I'm so happy about that! He sooo doesn't like taking it, there are days where he literally spits it right back out! First I tried to give it to him with a nipple from one of the bottles, then, since he didn't like that so much, I mixed it with breast milk. He was fine with that. When I ran out of my stash of frozen milk I returned to the nipple method. That went ok for some time but I guess because he wasn't used to drinking from a bottle he didn't like the nipple after a while. Plus, he didn't like the taste of it and would just let it run down his mouth. So my last resort was to prop his mouth open and give it to him directly from the syringe. The first time it ended up in my face! He lets me do it now but he's still not very fond of it so it's great that we can soon say bye-bye to that nasty stuff! Let the countdown begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment