Monday, April 23, 2012

Streak for Pediatric Stroke

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Tomorrow in a week will be May 1st!!!! Y'all know what that means - it will be Pediatric Stroke Awareness Month! As I mentioned in my last post I will be doing some fundraisers, one being "Pennies for Pediatric Stroke" penny jars. If you have a business in Minot or even somewhere else and would like to participate in "Pennies for Pediatric Stroke", please let me know. If you're in Minot, I will gladly bring you a penny jar and flyers about Pediatric Stroke. If you're not in Minot, I can at least send you the label for the penny jar and the flyers. Another fundraiser will (HOPEFULLY!) be a "Strikes for Stroke" bowling event, still working on the details for that. I seriously need a slap on the wrist for that!!! But there's another thing called "Streak for Pediatric Stroke". You choose something you will be doing every day for the entire month of May, like walking every day, coloring your hair purple (NO I WON'T DO THAT!!!), etc.

I'm not sure what I should do.....I've lost all my pregnancy weight and more (don't hate!) so a weight loss program won't make sense. I might get a purple hair extension, purple nails, purple clothes. I don't know. While purple is one of my favorite colors, I don't like purple nails at all. I'm super boring when it comes to painting my nails. I don't even have enough purple clothes to wear all through May! I have one purple shirt and one purple scarf, hahaha. Nia on the other hand could totally pull it off, she looks cute in purple anyway. I was thinking about planting purple plants in our front yard...What would you do? Seriously, give me your ideas!

It's Monday so we had PT today. Last time we were given this thin foam strip to create a loop around Isaiah's thumb and wrist to remind him to keep the thumb in the right position when grasping things. Well, it didn't work. Isaiah couldn't have cared less. Here's how it looked:
Isaiah with improvised splint. You see how he's still tucking this thumb in.

Nancy his therapist suggested a different approach, kinesio tape. Just like the foam strip it's temporary and soft enough to solely be a reminder and not force him. Right now it seems to work a lot better. Here's a picture:

I didn't do a good job this time but he was very squirmy and I really just wanted to put it on him to give you an impression. Of course I'll get some colorful tape, ha, maybe some purple tape!

Well, let me end for today, it's 80 degrees outside today, that's pretty much unheard of in ND! We usually don't get spring til May! So we're taking the kids outside. Y'all have a great day!

Love,
Mimi

1 comment:

  1. You should make a purple flag with the pediatric stroke awareness symbol on it (if there is one). Or maybe a purple ribbon out front of your house? I'm sure you'll come up with something!

    ReplyDelete