Monday, January 23, 2012

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Isaiah is 4 months now and he has been recovering well from his stroke. He quickly learned to suck, gained control of his right hand and leg and we even corrected his preference to look to the right. We almost thought we had overcome it, almost. At Isaiah's 4 months appointment the doctor noticed his head circumference had dropped dramatically from the 50th percentile to the 5th. That could mean that his brain isn't growing fast enough. I also noticed that he wouldn't use his right hand as much as his left to reach for things and grab them. His nurse Sarah, who comes to visit him weekly observed that at times he doesn't put weight on his feet when holding him in a standing position. This setback was a quick reminder that our journey is not over yet. We still have a long way to go before we know if he's going to be completely fine. It was saddening. I was taken back to the moment he stopped breathing, the time in the NICU and it clicked. Instead of being sad I need to give thanks, thanks for him being alive and thanks for his recovery so far. I need to remind myself that not I am in control but God and He has plan. He sees the big picture, he sees Isaiah's future, not just fragments. Whatever His plan is, it is the right plan and I know that He will not put more on us than we can bare. So I stopped what I was doing and did exactly that, I gave thanks. I thanked Him for everything that He has done in Isaiah and all the healing and restoration that was yet to come. For by His stripes we are healed!
And what can I tell you, yesterday, late at night he reached for his toy with his RIGHT HAND! It's still not as coordinated as his left hand yet but it is a start!

Love,
Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment